Mrview command not working

I have installed mrtrix3 in windows 7 paltform. While trying to execute the command mrview getting the below errors:

mrview: [ERROR] your OpenGL implementation is not sufficient to run MRView - need version 3.3 or higher
mrview: [ERROR] operation is likely to be unstable
mrview: [ERROR] GLSL log [vertex shader]: 0(1) : error C0201: unsupported version 330
0(2) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected ‘(’ at token "("
0(2) : error C0501: type name expected at token "("
0(2) : warning C7022: unrecognized profile specifier "layout"
0(2) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected ‘)’, expecting ‘,’ or ‘;’ at token ")"
0(2) : error C0501: type name expected at token ")"
0(2) : warning C7537: OpenGL does not allow ‘inout’ after a type specifier
0(3) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected ‘(’ at token "("
0(3) : error C0501: type name expected at token "("
0(3) : warning C7022: unrecognized profile specifier "layout"
0(3) : error C1038: declaration of “location” conflicts with previous declaration at 0(2)
0(3) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected ‘)’, expecting ‘,’ or ‘;’ at token ")"
0(3) : error C0501: type name expected at token ")"
0(3) : warning C7537: OpenGL does not allow ‘inout’ after a type specifier
0(3) : error C1038: declaration of “vec2” conflicts with previous declaration at 0(2)
0(4) : warning C7532: global type float requires “#version 100” or later
0(6) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected identifier at token "vec2"
0(6) : error C0501: type name expected at token "vec2"
0(6) : error C1038: declaration of “vec2” conflicts with previous declaration at 0(2)
0(8) : warning C7532: global variable gl_Position requires “#version 100” or later
0(8) : warning C7532: global type vec4 requires “#version 100” or later

mrview: [ERROR] error compiling OpenGL vertex shader ID 1
Segmentation fault

It looks like your graphics card or the software drivers for your graphics card don’t support the features needed by MRView (OpenGL 3.3). I’m surprised that you’d have trouble on a Windows 7 platform, OpenGL 3.3 is pretty standard these days.

Are you running this on a virtual machine, by any chance? It’s difficult to get that kind of setup working.

Otherwise, let us know what graphics card you’re running. You might find that simply upgrading the drivers might be sufficient…

The graphics card in my machine is NVIDIA Quadro FX 580.
I can see the opengl32.dll library file in my machine.
But still I am getting the error

“mrview: [ERROR] your OpenGL implementation is not sufficient to run MRView - need version 3.3 or higher”

Getting the below error as well regarding running mrview gui:

IOANA+Administrator@IOANA MINGW64 ~/mrtrix3
$ ./configure -assert -debug debug

MRtrix build type requested: debug with asserts

Detecting OS: windows
Checking for C++11 compliant compiler [g++]: 5.3.0 - tested ok
Detecting pointer size: 64 bit
Detecting byte order: little-endian
Checking for variable-length array support: yes
Checking for non-POD variable-length array support: yes
Checking for zlib compression library: 1.2.8
checking for Eigen 3 library: 3.2.8
Checking shared library generation: yes
Checking for Qt moc: moc (version 5.6.0)
Checking for Qt qmake: qmake (version 5.6.0)
Checking for Qt rcc: rcc (version 5.6.0)
Checking for Qt: 5.6.0

writing configuration to file ‘./debug/config’: ok

$ ./build debug/bin/mrview
ERROR: cannot find file “cmd/mr.cpp”

@jdtournier Please help me with the mrview command.

I am trying to install mrtrix3 in windows 7 for past 5days. Each time after installation when I am trying to run the command ‘mrview’, I am getting the below error. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall several times the mrtrix3, but still the mrview command is not working and giving me error :—

“mrview: [ERROR] your OpenGL implementation is not sufficient to run MRView - need version 3.3 or higher”

The graphics card in my machine is NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 and I can see the opengl32.dll library file in my machine.
But still I am getting the error

I tried to run the command mrview -debug and got below errors:–
"mrview: [DEBUG] No config file found at "/etc/mrtrix.conf"
mrview: [DEBUG] No config file found at “.mrtrix.conf"
mrview: [INFO] GL renderer: Quadro FX 580/PCI/SSE2
mrview: [INFO] GL version: 3.1.0
mrview: [INFO] GL vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
mrview: [ERROR] your OpenGL implementation is not sufficient to run MRView - need version 3.3 or higher
mrview: [ERROR] operation is likely to be unstable
mrview: [DEBUG] loading font into OpenGL texture…”

Then I tried to run ./build debug/bin/mrview but got the error:–
"IOANA+Administrator@IOANA MINGW64 ~/mrtrix3
ERROR: cannot find file "cmd/mr.cpp"

Please help!!

Ok, as I suggested earlier, your graphics card (or rather its software) does not support OpenGL 3.3. the debug output clearly states that it provides OpenGL 3.1. This is a property of your system, not MRtrix3 - there’s little point trying to rebuild MRtrix3…

Unfortunately, the Quadro FX 580 is a rather old card (it’s listed as legacy on the nvidia website), but other sources suggest that a driver update might allow it to provide OpenGL 3.3. So your best bet is to download the latest drivers from nvidia, install them, and see whether that fixes things… If that doesn’t work, you’ll probably have to upgrade your graphics card to get MRView to work…

Thanks @jdtournier for the reply! I am quite new in this software and was scratching my head to find out what is going wrong. Hope now it will be sorted once I upgrade the openGL to the required version. Thanks for the clue!!

Regarding this particular error:

ERROR: cannot find file "cmd/mr.cpp"

This is occurring because the full path to the executable on Windows is debug/bin/mrview.exe. The build script is trying to find the corresponding cmd/ file by truncating the last 4 characters to get rid of the expected .exe, but in your case it’s truncating the ‘view’ from mrview. I should be able to modify the build script to handle this better (it’s caught me out a few times as well).

Thanks @rsmith for your response.

Thanks @jdtournier for the link to update NVIDIA. MRVIEW is working now.