Multi-shell data in neonates

Hi

We have acquired multi-shell diffusion data in neonates (30x b=1000s/mm2; 64x b=2000s/mm2).
I was wondering if anyone here has experience in using msmt-csd in neonates. The problem in neonates is that the tissue types can’t be treated the same way as in adults, e.g. cortical GM is radially organised, and WM myelination is still ongoing, so not all WM can be treated the same way. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
The obvious (non-optimal) solution for me would be to use only the outer shell and ssst-csd, but if at all possible I would like to make use of the full data.

Thanks
Kerstin

I think @jdtournier is exactly the person you’re looking for. He’s sitting on some very similar data; and I know he’s doing modified funny-MSMT-CSD business with it. :wink:

Nothing funny about it at all, I assure you, all very serious stuff.

@Kerstin, dealing with neonates is indeed a little tricky, there’s lot of interesting stuff going on in there… For now, what we’ve done is to use a 2 tissue approach: CSF and parenchyma. Responses estimated from a CSF mask, and parenchyma responses from a mask of the tissue using the ‘tournier’ algorithm. There’s a bit more to it than that, but that’s the gist of it.

In the meantime, we’re thinking very hard about how to push this forward. You’ll hear about it as soon as we’ve figured something out…