Calculating average FBA metrics of specific tracts

Thank you for the response!

This made me wonder whether I’m using the template appropriately…
I’m creating seed and target ROIs for each subject separately and then tracking (in template space). In order to create the individual ROIs, I have to compute several transformations: MNI space=> Individual anatomical space=> Individual diffusion space => Template diffusion space…So I have different tracts for each subject even if I’m tracking in template space.

Are there more straightforward ways of transforming a ROI from MNI space to template space and end with a single ROI in template space (and thus, a single tract)?

Thank you!

I’m creating seed and target ROIs for each subject separately and then tracking (in template space).

This is generally ill-advised. The generally-accepted preferred approach is to reconstruct a pathway entirely in subject space (potentially warping atlas information from a template into the individual subject space to do so), and then transform the streamlines into template space. You might then e.g. combine streamlines from across subjects in order to define a single ROI in template space corresponding to that pathway, such that the position and spatial extent of the ROI is then defined only once in template space rather than varying across subjects.

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you for the response. I’m a bit confused with this information. I will try to summarise to figure out which step I’m misinterpreting:

Tracking:
Should be done in native diffusion space.This means that (for subject=sub01) the FOD input for tckgen is sub01/wmfod.mif… as defined in step 14 before warping them to template space, right?

Extracting FD, FC,FDC values from a tck:
1.fod2fixel: fixel directory has to be created from sub01/wmfod.mif etc since we tracked in native diffusion space. This will create sub01/fixel_directory/
2.tck2fixel: From here, I interpret that fixel_folder_in should be sub01/fixel_directory/ and we could create a fixelmask_native.mif as fixel_data_out.

Since I want to extract the FC, FDC values (which only exist in template space), I need to transform my fixelmask (which is in native diffusion space) to template space. Here comes my question:

3.fixelcorrespondence:
From here, I interpret that subject_data could be fixelmask_native.mif and that template_directory should be Template/Fixel_mask/.

However, the description says “It is assumed that the subject image has already been spatially normalised and is aligned with the template”. I don’t think fixelmask_native.mif meets this assumption, right? It’s only after

mrtransform IN/wmfod.mif -warp IN/subject2template_warp.mif IN/fod_in_template_space_REORIENTED.mif

that the FOD is aligned with the template.

This makes me wonder whether the FOD input for tckgen should be sub01/fod_in_template_space_REORIENTED.mif in the first place.

Thank you!

1 Like

I think perhaps the issue is that you are considering the individual steps as being entirely independent; whereas what needs to happen is to decide the overall structure of the experiment, and then determine the requisite steps to complete that experiment.

Given you are now speaking about also extracting tract-wise FC and FDC values, which are only defined in template space voxels, I would personally focus on deriving one mask in template space per tract, from which you can then extract mean FD / FC / FDC per subject. Going to the effort of defining an individual fixel mask per tract per subject, only to then try to map those into template space, just sounds like a source of unnecessary work and unwanted variance to me. Is there any strong motivation to perform any of these calculations in individual native spaces?

Hello Thijs,
I am very much interested in performing a similar Tract of interest analysis. I understand that we can extract the FD, FC or FDC within a tract using a fixel mask.

1. Could you please guide me on how to generate a tract specific fixel mask as shown in figures 6 & 7 from the Atlas?
  2. Are these binary fixel masks? If so, how do i explicitly calculate FD in a fixel with crossing fibers (for example posterior cingulum and splenium of corpus callosum)?

Thank you for your time.

BW
Jay

Hey @Jayachandra_Raghava,

Hope you’re doing well. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, that is correct. So this is conceptually the same as a simple region-of-interest analysis in the world of “voxels”. But here, rather than a binary (voxel) ROI, you’ll need a binary fixel ROI (or “mask”) indeed. We typically create this directly on the fixel-analysis mask in template space you’d already have sitting there when you’re running the main steps of an FBA or similar pipeline.

There’re multiple ways to get these.

In some previous works, we’ve used the actual significant fixels from one (FBA) analysis to “become” the binary fixel ROI(s) of another analysis or statistical test. Key here is realising that you can use most commands that work on images, also on the fixel “data files” in each fixel folder. If you want to get a binary fixel mask from your significant fixels for example, you can simply run mrthreshold with the -abs 0.95 option on the fixel data file (.mif, in the fixel folder) that has the p-values. This will yield another fixel data file, that you can store either in the same fixel folder, or alternatively copy in a new fixel folder wherein you also make a copy of index.mif and directions.mif of the original fixel folder.

The other scenario to get a binary fixel mask is when you’ve got some a priori hypothesis or interest for a tract of interest (e.g. “the cingulum”). Again multiple ways to go at this, but the simplest is:

1. Perform tractography (tckgen) on the FOD template of your study, using inclusion/exclusion regions and parameters of your choice to obtain a good set of streamlines representing that structure. It’s important the structure of interest itself is really densely filled with streamlines. If there’s some spurious streamlines that go beyond or outside the structure of interest, that’s not a worry (see next steps!)

2. Map this tractogram of the bundle of interest to your fixel analysis mask you have in the FBA pipeline. This is done using tck2fixel. This is essentially a “track density image” (TDI), but then on fixels, rather than on voxels. It’ll generate another fixel data file (that once more also belongs together with index.mif and directions.mif in the fixel folder). For each fixel, it’ll have the count of streamlines going “through” that fixel (which means: which go through the relevant voxel, and along an angle that is close enough to the fixel). Notably, this is indeed fixel-specific: streamlines may add to the count of one fixel in a voxel, but not to the other fixel(s) in the same voxel.

3. Threshold this fixel-wise TDI image using mrthreshold with -abs ... and some number of minimal streamlines that need to have passed through the fixel for the fixel to be “in” the binary fixel mask. This is the step where you can play with this threshold to get a nice continuous, clean and solid “bundle” in your final binary fixel mask, even when there were a few spurious false positive streamlines before. This will then output the binary fixel mask (similarly as above in the example of thresholding the p-value fixel image).

So at this point, you’ve got a binary fixel mask for your bundle/tract of interest (or multiple, if you did this for multiple bundles). That means the FD fixel files match the binary fixel masks in ordering of storing all the numbers: this is per individual fixel. So essentially, there’s no worry about voxels with multiple fixels here: each entry is an individual fixel, both in the FD data files as well as the ROI binary files. That means you can provide these just to e.g. mrstats: i.e. run mrstats on a subject’s FD fixel data file, and add -mask ... where you provide the binary fixel mask. With mrstats for example, you can then compute the mean of all FD values in the binary fixel ROI. You can run this for example in a foreach loop, and extract specifically the mean values; and then copy-paste those values in whichever software you prefer for stats (e.g. R or Matlab or similar…).

Those are the basics; but it takes some experimenting to get used to the process of doing this. Hope it helps! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers & take care,
Thijs

1 Like

Hi Thijs,

Thank you for your reply.

I had some hypothesis specific ROIs in NIFTI format from a previous study. I converted them into fixel masks using voxel2fixel. As you suggested i ran mrstats with -mask option to -output mean and it works!!

Now, i managed to get the mean FD within the fixel mask. I see that there are quite some fixels within this fixelmask that have crossing fibers. Its not clear to me as to how the mean FD within a fixel with multiple fibers/crossing fibers is calculated. For example: if there are two crossing fibers within a fixel, will the mean FD in this fixel correspond to average(FD_fiber1,FD_fiber2)?

Best wishes
Jay

1 Like

Aha, yes, that would work for sure. But now I also better understand your context, and I realise where part of your initial question came from, I think. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

So, there’s something to consider here, I think. Having your hypothesised ROIs initially as voxel images, basically means you’ve got no “fixel specificity” in your hypothesis in a way. The question maybe is: do those ROIs represent actual “tracts”? Or are they just more “blobs” (for lack of a better word) somewhere in the WM? If they’re supposed to represent tracts, and you’ve got an idea which ones, you might still pursue something like the tractography-to-fixel approach I mentioned above. You could even limit the tractography itself to be masked in those ROIs. Or alternatively, it’s even possible to just track those tracts, convert them (as above, via a fixel TDI) to a binary fixel mask, and then: compute the intersection of your a priori ROI(s)-to-fixel with the tract-to-fixel binary mask. Similarly to how you can “simply” use mrstats, you can also use mrcalc to e.g. compute the intersection of 2 binary fixel masks!

So a number of options here, if there’s some definition of a known “tract” involved. The purpose then would be to end up with a fixel mask that has some degree of fixel specificity in areas: i.e. voxels where the fixel mask itself doesn’t per se include all fixels in the voxel.

Otherwise, you’ve got indeed this situation:

In that case, to answer what happens for this one:

Well, it just averages the FD over all fixels in the complete binary fixel mask, regardless of how they are grouped (or not) in individual voxels. So for example, if you mask had just 4 fixels, where 1 sits in a voxel alone and the 3 other ones sit together in a single voxel, the result of mrstats -output mean is the mean of the FD of all 4 fixels, equally weighted. There’s no “separate” voxel-wise averaging that happens first.

This might be important depending on what you actually want to compute, especially for FD very specifically (because it has some properties of a density, even though it’s far from a proper density)! If your initial ROI(s) is/are just WM “blobs” without a specific tract hypothesis, then in lots of scenarios you may not want this behaviour. You might want to e.g. average over all voxels in an ROI, but after first summing (not averaging) all FDs of fixels within voxels. This would give you the average FD of that blob/chunk of WM tissue. Due to averaging over all voxels, it normalises for size of the ROI, where size comes at 1 (same) unit of volume per voxel. If that is what you’re after, then actually you’re taking an unnecessary detour going via fixels! :wink: And one that introduces imprecisions at that…
In this case, you can rather apply mrstats -output mean directly to the first volume of the FOD image, using your voxel ROI with -mask.

I hope that all makes sense. It’s a bit complicated at times, and it gets more complicated due to FD not being an actual density. It’s sensitised to intra-axonal signal, but not specific to intra-axonal volume. This is generally still ok, if you deal with it reasonably, e.g. most of the time in FBA. It gets more problematic when things are integrated over different regions, e.g. in ROI analyses (or certain kinds) and connectomics.

All the best,
Thijs

1 Like

Hi Thijs,

I’m new to Mrtrix-could you please explain how you obtained the fixel masks from FBA, if these fixel masks are tract-specific regions? (i.e. fixel masks covering each white matter tract, as I am looking to calculate FBA metrics for each WM tract)

In particular, I saw the response about inclusion and exclusion ROIs. How can you make these? Is there a specific guide/atlas one can use? I would like to get the tracts identified in Mito. et al, 2018 (MCI and PD versus control)

1 Like

Hey @Ana_Han,

No worries, but it’s quite challenging if you’re not yet used to some of the basic (and slightly more advanced) usage of some of these steps… It might be good to first get yourself somewhat familiarised with a basic FBA pipeline; in particular the use of the fixel “format” (aka fixel folders). Otherwise, I can imagine some of the content in the posts above might be puzzling. :slightly_smiling_face: Just a few quick remarks maybe, to makes sure you’re on the right track generally:

So it’s important here to distinguish between 2 very different scenarios. I’m mentioning this, because your wording at least seems to slightly (maybe!) mix them up. Ignore this if you were absolutely sure what you were after, but in any case, these are the 2 different kinds of scenarios:

1. “obtain fixel masks from FBA”; this reads a bit as the following scenario: you’ve performed an FBA, and thus you’ve already obtained a bunch of significant fixels. You then want to extract metrics from (subgroups of) these fixels. This is what was done in Mito et al. 2018. The FBA there had itself pulled out significant fixels for a controls versus AD comparison. These fixels themselves were then split up in groups of fixels that roughly belonged to different “identified” structures in that result. Those are the visualisations in the glass brains you see in that paper. For those “identified” structures, we computed then average metrics for the controls and MCI population, to then compare those. We did this because a “full blown” FBA of controls versus MCI wasn’t sensitive enough to pick things up. So the controls versus AD result itself was in a way then used as a more specific hypothesis for controls versus MCRI. But in practice, this was then an exercise to “segment” the FBA result into sub-structures. @rmito did a lot of manual work combining the FBA result with anatomical knowledge. And all of that using a range of commands to get this done in practice.

2. “fixel masks covering each white matter tract, as I am looking to calculate FBA metrics for each WM tract”; this on the other hand reads (to me) more like: you have some tracts in mind a priori. So the tracts or fixels done come “from” an FBA. You just have (as in the FBA pipeline) at some point a mask of all the fixels in the brain, and then you have a set of tracts with names in mind (e.g. “the corticospinal tract” or “the optical radiations” or… etc…). This is a different exercise: you have to perform targeted tractography of those tracts, and then use that outcome to map it onto fixels (and via some threshold turn it into a binary fixel mask).

Scenario 2 would indeed use inclusion and exclusion ROIs: that’s part of performing targeted tractography. You essentially define rules for tractography so you obtain your tract of interest. Inclusions regions are typically located at both ends of the tract, and possibly some “check points” in between. Exclusion regions are typically defined out of experience of tracking without them: you’ll see tractography getting so creative that it finds alternate (false positive, nonsense) paths between your inclusion regions. Once you know where this happens, you define an exclusion region along those false pathways to forbid them to happen next time. There’s many different review papers on tractography of specific structures that list some of these with tips. But generally, all it takes is an anatomy book and common sense: if you know roughly where a tract starts/ends, you can just use the ROI tool to draw regions there, and provide them via the -include option to tckgen. If you’ve never done this before, allow yourself a day or two to get experience with this. :slightly_smiling_face:

The tracts identified in @rmito’s work were defined in more hybrid ways, since those already had the FBA output up front. This is more scenario 1, whereas (I think) you’re after scenario 2.

I hope that helps somewhat! It’s hard to teach this in writing beyond this though. Here’s an ISMRM educational I did for ISMRM a few years ago, which brings up targetted tractography at some point, if you weren’t familiar with it yet. To turn this into fixels you’ll need tck2fixel to make a fixel-wise tract-density image, followed by mrthreshold to turn this into a binary fixel mask. That can then be used with mrstats to pull out e.g. the average FD or similar.

Cheers & take care,
Thijs

1 Like

Hi Thijs,

I ran my fb analysis (on some tracts of interest, in this case the corticospinal tract) and get some nice results. Now I wanted to extract the fd values (only in the significant fixels) and used the approach you described here, using mrthreshold on my fwe_…mif file. However when I’m using the resulting image as the mask in mrstats, it’s telling me that the dimensions between my mask and the directions.mif + index.mif files of my input file mismatch (between dimensions 0 and 2). I already did the same approach but used the binarised fixel mask from the whole tract, and there it worked fine, so I can’t figure out what’s different with my new thresholded mask.
I’m running my analyses on data from a longitudinal study, so my stats input file is the difference image of timepoints 1 and 2. Could this be the problem?

I hope you can help me with this.
Thank you and best,
Kristin

Welcome Kristin!

If utilising a fixel mask to perform statistics on values from a fixel data file only using values from within specific fixels, then there is no reason why the index or directions files should be involved at all. If you have a fixel mask that is Nx1x1 (with N being the number of fixels), and a fixel data file (e.g. containing Fibre Density (FD) values) that is also Nx1x1, then mrstats will have no issue: the binary mask just controls which fixel values contribute to the statistics and which do not. The index and directions images serve a fundamentally purpose: they essentially specify the spatial location and fibre orientation for each of the N fixels in those data files. But as long as fixel index i in the mask image is the same fixel as index i in the FD data file, then there’s actually no need to know the spatial location of each fixel in order to calculate those statistics.

If you’re still uncertain, maybe include here the exact commands that you are attempting to execute, along with the output of mrinfo for each of the files involved.

Cheers
Rob

2 Likes

Thanks Rob for your clear answer!
Turned out I should have written my bash script a bit clearer. This way it tried to run mrstats on the direction and index file as well, which of course had to result in an error, but everything else worked fine. So just a stupid mistake that cost me a few hours staring at mrinfo outputs trying to figure out what went wrong :sweat_smile:

Best,
Kristin

Hi,
Sorry to revive an old thread. The prior posts here are great but I just had a question with a single point:

Is there a problem with thresholding at 1? I like my track segmentations from TractSeg and don’t see what look like false positives. Since TractSeg seems to be the primary go-to segmentation method accompanying FBA, I was hoping someone can share their approach.

Thanks,
Steven

The process by which TractSeg generates streamlines, involving both a voxel propagation mask and dual endpoint masks, means that stray streamlines are precluded from the outset. So yes, in that case you’re likely fine using a threshold of 1 streamline.

1 Like

Hi Thijs,
Thanks for sharing this explanation. I tried implementing the following on my dataset:

mrstats subject001.mif -mask tractOI_binary.mif

which provides an error, because the mask file has dimensions 204 x 204 x 204 while subject001.mif has dimensions 571734 x 1 x 1.

(here, subject001.mif is found in the FD_smooth directory, although the same could be said if using any of the subject images in the FD directory).

I also tried using mrgrid to match the dimensions of tractOI_binary.mif with subject001.mif, and this resulted in an image containing only zeros…

Am I using the correct input images? And if so, what can be done to get a sensible result?

Cheers,
Arkiev

I think I found my error. The -mask should use the output from tck2fixel (and not the output from tckmap)…

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Arkiev

What’s the best value for mrthreshold? -abs what value? I could not find any articles mentioned this.

Hi, Arkiev

I encountered the same error as yours, the dimensions between my mask and FD.mif are mismatched. The details I have pasted in here. But I seem to use the mask from tck2fixel already(I am not that sure). Could you please help me check?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Yuting

Hi Yuting,

Thanks for sharing the link. The syntax of tck2fixel seems sensible. But I’m not sure if the application here is necessary…

I would like to clarify the objective… it looks like a whole brain FBA analysis has been completed, including stats (FD anova). Significant fixels in the whole brain analysis have been found, and the goal is to calculate the proportion of a given tract that contains significant differences in FD as determined from the whole-brain FBA…is this correct? If so, I think this could be done using voxels, for example, mrthreshold the FWE_1mp at 0.95 to create a binary image showing significant voxels. Then do mrstats on this image using -mask (here the mask would be a binary image from the tract of interest, in voxel coordinates) to get the number of voxels within the tract that contain significantly different voxels from the whole-brain FBA.

This is different to asking whether there are differences in FBA metrics in a given tract of interest. To do this, run fixelcsfstats using the -mask option (here the output of tck2fixel would be used as the mask). This will run stats but only within the tract of interest.

I should point out that I am relatively new to fixels…I’d be keen to hear what others have to say about this suggestion :smile:

Cheers,
Arkiev