How to judge whether the results of the dwi2fod is right?

Hi Community,
I ran the following command:
dwi2fod msmt_csd DWI.mif RF_WM.txt WM_FODs.mif RF_GM.txt GM.mif RF_CSF.txt CSF.mif -mask nodif_brain_mask.nii.gz

I obtained result of FOD as following:

The red box part as below:

Any suggestions there?
Thanks,
Jian

It is pretty hard to tell from these images.

Could you increase the scaling of the fODFs to 2-3 in the ODF display tool and then show full high-resolution orthogonal slices?

Ideally you would show:

axial slice featuring the genu of the corpus callosum
sagittal slice featuring the cingulum
coronal slice featuring the cortico spinal tracts

While you are at it, also increase the detail from 3 to 5 in the ODF display tool.

Hi @bjeurissen,
I made the changes, as following:

axial slice

sagittal slice

coronal slice

Please give me some advice, thank you!
Jian

There is definitely something odd-looking about that corpus callosum, particularly in anterior part where it lines the ventricles - the rest of the brain looks good. I doubt it’s anything to do with the CSD itself (I expect you’d find similar issues using a tensor-based analysis - easy enough to verify if you need to).

I recommend you look through your raw data and check whether any of your volumes are corrupted in this region.

Also, maybe you can tell us a bit more about your acquisition parameters (b-value, number of directions, resolution, etc), and what processing you’ve done on these data/

Please give me some advice, thank you!

More generally, if you’re trying to do a visual assessment of FOD estimation in a healthy brain, what you’re looking for is:
Estimated fibre orientations that are or are not consistent with the spatial continuity of the bundle.

For instance, take a look at this zoomed coronal view of the centrum semiovale where the FODs are clearly “wrong” (looks like pathways with high fibre density just vanish):

If you’re unfamiliar with the anatomy, comparing your images against those presented in relevant journal articles may help.

Cheers
Rob