Mrview - segmentation fault

Hi. I have seen similar error reported before, but was hoping you could help debug this one. I am running MRtrix on our HPC through putty, with X11 forwarding enabled, and an Xming server. I created an empty config file (.mrtrix_config) in my home directtory, but still getting this error message:

I attempted to install the latest version of MRtrix, but this hasn’t fixed the problem.

Thanks for any help on this,

Mark W

mrview -debug MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif

mrview: [DEBUG] No config file found at "/etc/mrtrix.conf"
mrview: [INFO] reading config file "/gs/gsfs0/users/mwagshul/.mrtrix.conf"...
mrview: [DEBUG] reading key/value file "/gs/gsfs0/users/mwagshul/.mrtrix.conf"...
QOpenGLWidget: Failed to make context current
mrview: [INFO] opening image "MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif"...
mrview: [DEBUG] reading key/value file "MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif"...
mrview: [DEBUG] sanitising image information...
mrview: [INFO] image "MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif" opened with dimensions 256x256x144x45, voxel spacing 1x1x1x1, datatype Float32LE
mrview: [DEBUG] memory-mapping file "MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif"...
mrview: [DEBUG] file "MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif" mapped at 0x7f2376bfe000, size 1698693120 (read-only)
mrview: [DEBUG] image "MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif" loaded
mrview: [DEBUG] image "MS_PROCESSING/001/VISIT_1/MRtrix/wmfod.mif" initialised with strides = [ -45 -11520 2949120 1 ], start = 2949075, using indirect IO

mrview: [SYSTEM FATAL CODE: SIGSEGV (11)] Segmentation fault: Invalid memory access

The issue there is that X11 forwarding generally won’t work with mrview – as explained here. There are workarounds, suggested in that topic, so you may find something that works for you. In your case, and depending on what drivers are available on the remote HPC system, you may find that switching to mobaxterm instead on Xming will do the trick – but you’ll have to try it and see…