Dimension mismatch fa.mif and roi.mif when extracting FA values of a ROI

Dear MRtrix experts,

I’m trying to extract mean FA and MD values from a single ROI. I have tried the following approach for FA values, and I was planning on using a similar command for MD values:

mrstats fa.mif -mask roi.mif -output mean > roi_fa.txt

This is followed by an error saying that there is a dimension mismatch between fa.mif and roi.mif. I obtained my fa.mif file by the following commands:

dwi2tensor dwi_preproc.mif tensor.mif
tensor2metric tensor.mif -fa fa.mif

The ROI was made on a T1 DW coregistered image and then saved.
Does anybody have any suggestions for what went wrong?

Excuse me if my question tends to be a bit basic, I’m still pretty new to MRtrix. Thanks a lot in advance!

Best,
Rianne

1 Like

For context, mrview creates the ROI based on the main image loaded upon which the ROI is drawn and mrstats operates on the voxel-level. So if your T1 and DW images do not share the same voxel grid (number of voxels but also real-space locations), you’d need to modify the ROI. One way to do so is to regrid the ROI onto the DWI grid and you’d probably interpolate using nearest-neighbour or linear interpolation:
You can do so with the new (as of 3.0) command mrgrid
mrgrid roi_t1grid.mif regrid -template fa.mif roi_dwigrid.mif -interp nearest
or with
mrtransform roi_t1grid.mif -template fa.mif roi_dwigrid.mif -interp nearest

Cheers,
Max

Thank you for your suggestion @maxpietsch! I was wondering, would drawing a ROI on a prepossessed DWI image instead of the co-registered image be a possible, more convienent alternative? I have tried that and the dimension mismatch error did not occur anymore…

Regards,
Rianne

Sure, unless of course you want the T1 contrast (or resolution) to guide your ROI drawing.

Perfect! Thanks a lot for your help!