Fibre orientation wrt B0

Is there an alternative option to split_dir with the new fixel2voxel command in matrix?

I try and use that option however I am given the error ā€œunexpected value supplied for operation, valid choices are mean, sum, product, min, max, absmax, magmax, count, complexity, sf, dec_unit, dec_scaled, none.ā€

I have a feeling this functionality has been moved over into a new command fixel2peaks ā€“ rationale for the change was discussed on this GitHub issue, for those who might be interested.

The angle map I get is not ideal, and so I am trying to improve on this. I think what may be the problem in using fixel2peaks, is that the image is scaled based on the afd, and so I need to find a way to ā€˜descaleā€™ this image, as I propose the scaling has affected the angle obtained?? Im not sure if that would be why or if the issue is something else

I think what may be the problem in using fixel2peaks, is that the image is scaled based on the afd, and so I need to find a way to ā€˜descaleā€™ this image, as I propose the scaling has affected the angle obtained?

This can be done manually:

mrmath peak.mif norm - | mrcalc peak.mif - -div peak_dir.mif

This assumes a volume with 3 volumes and just a single XYZ orientation per voxel; if encoding more than this youā€™d need to use mrconvert -coord 3 to extract the volumes corresponding to each peak, normalise each individually, then stitch them back together with mrcat.

1 Like

Ok so I have a 122x122x68x3 image, so essentially 3 volumes so I wonā€™t need to carry out mrconvert? Is that correct

Is the split_data functionality of fixel2voxel also possible? Reading this: https://github.com/MRtrix3/mrtrix3/pull/1874
it says ā€œso it makes sense to replace split_data with none and ditch split_dir in favour of a dedicated commandā€¦ā€ so Iā€™m assuming the split_data functionality is still possible with the new fixel2voxel command, but by specifying ā€˜noneā€™ as the operation? Thank you

Ok so I have a 122x122x68x3 image, so essentially 3 volumes so I wonā€™t need to carry out mrconvert? Is that correct

Correct: if thereā€™s 3 volumes in the 4D image, then thereā€™s only one fibre direction per voxel, and so you donā€™t need to do any trickery in order to separately normalise multiple fibre directions in each voxel.

Iā€™m assuming the split_data functionality is still possible with the new fixel2voxel command, but by specifying ā€˜noneā€™ as the operation?

Correct: that is a simple renaming of the operation, the functionality remains the same.