Mrview: [SYSTEM FATAL CODE: SIGSEGV (11)] Segmentation fault: Invalid memory access

Dear MRTrix community

I installed MRtrix on Ubuntu 22.04. through Virtualbox on my Windows Computer. Whenver I try to open mrview I get this message:

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open vmwgfx: /usr/lib/dri/vmwgfx_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: vmwgfx
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
mrview: [INFO] opening image "MMSP20_T0_dt.mif"...
mrview: [DEBUG] reading key/value file "MMSP20_T0_dt.mif"...
mrview: [DEBUG] sanitising image information...
mrview: [INFO] image "MMSP20_T0_dt.mif" opened with dimensions 96x96x61x6, voxel spacing 2.2916699999999999x2.2916699999999999x2.2999999999999998x0, datatype Float32LE
mrview: [DEBUG] memory-mapping file "MMSP20_T0_dt.mif"...
mrview: [DEBUG] file "MMSP20_T0_dt.mif" mapped at 0x7f2ab0749000, size 13492224 (read-only)
mrview: [DEBUG] image "MMSP20_T0_dt.mif" loaded
mrview: [DEBUG] image "MMSP20_T0_dt.mif" initialised with strides = [ -1 96 9216 562176 ], start = 95, using indirect IO

mrview: [SYSTEM FATAL CODE: SIGSEGV (11)] Segmentation fault: Invalid memory access

What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the late response – hard to keep up with the day job…

The issue here is an incorrectly set up OpenGL driver for your VMware VM:

For some reason, Mesa (the main framework for graphics support on Linux) can’t load your driver. This could be simply because it’s out of date compared to your kernel (maybe you ran an update recently, but failed to also update the driver to match? I don’t use VMWare, so I’m not sure what the expected process is here).

The weird thing is it then failed to load the fallback software rendering driver:

That suggests there’s a problem with your installation of mesa. It may be fixed simply by running a full update on your system (presumably sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade), but that depends entirely on how mesa and the VMWare driver were installed in the first place. If they were installed via some third-party repository, explicitly through downloaded packages, or even build from source, then you would need to use whatever is the appropriate channel to update it.

Unfortunately, fixing these kinds of hardware/driver issues is beyond the scope of this forum… I suspect your best bet would be to ask on the VMWare forums, they would be much better placed to give you appropriate advice.

All the best,
Donald

Hi Donald,

thank you very much for your response! Sadly I could not get it to work. I have now also installed mrtrix on the windows host to use mrview.

Cheers,

Leonard

Hi experts,

I’ve run into the same problem and so have some of my friends. If there is any update, please let us know.

Regards,
Wang

1 Like