Mrview z limit sagittal and coronal disappearing

Hi MRtrix.

I work with images with many slices. It seems that when there are more than 2048 slices, the sagittal and coronal part of “Ortho view” becomes all black, nothing to see.

Here are some example checkerboard images to illustrate the issue:

Is this happening on your machines as well, and might it be possible to change this behaviour?

Best regards
Simon

Yes, that’s a limitation of OpenGL, unfortunately. We use 3D textures to store the images on the GPU, and these are typically limited to dimensions of 2048 on typical hardware – as reported by the GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE value. This depends on your specific hardware and OpenGL drivers.

There’s not a lot we can do about this without considerable effort. The solution would be to implement tiled rendering, which would require a lot of changes to the code. It’s not inconceivable we might do something about this in due course, but it’s unfortunately just one feature on a long list of requests…

One maybe simpler approach might be to use 2D textures when rendering in locked to axes mode (i.e. not cutting through obliquely, or using the volume render). This would still require some effort, but might be worth doing as this isn’t the first time this has been an issue…

Thanks for the reply and explanation! I’ll enjoy the axial view then :slight_smile: