Registration of DTI to T1 in the tractograph analysis

Hello

I want to ask you a question. I want to use mrtrix3 to make a case report of the tractograph of the whole brain. In your tutorial, T1 was segmented and registered into DTI. Can I turn over and register DTI into T1 for tractograph analysis of the whole brain? Because if I do this, I can directly draw the ROI in T1. And I did it once according to your tutorial. I found that the TCK of the whole brain I analyzed does not coincide in the T1 background.

If I can do what I say, what command should I use?

I hope you can help and thanks for your time,
Chen

Hello

I changed the steps of analysis according to my own ideas.

1. mrconvert t1.nii *T1.mif
  2. 5ttgen fsl *T1.mif 5tt_nocoreg.mif
  3. dwiextract *den_unr_preproc_unbiased.mif - -bzero | mrmath - mean *mean_b0_preprocessed.mif -axis 3
  4. mrconvert *mean_b0_preprocessed.mif *mean_b0_preprocessed.nii.gz
  5. mrconvert 5tt_nocoreg.mif 5tt_nocoreg.nii.gz
  6. fslroi 5tt_nocoreg.nii.gz 5tt_vol0.nii.gz 0 1
  7. flirt -in 5tt_vol0.nii.gz -ref *mean_b0_preprocessed.nii.gz -interp nearestneighbour -dof 6 -omat struct2diff_fsl.mat
  8. transformconvert struct2diff_fsl.mat 5tt_nocoreg.nii.gz *mean_b0_preprocessed.nii.gz flirt_import struct2diff_mrtrix.txt
  9. mrtransform *den_unr_preproc_unbiased.mif -linear struct2diff_mrtrix.txt -inverse *den_unr_preproc_unbiased_nocoreg.mif
  10. dwi2mask *den_unr_preproc_unbiased_nocoreg.mif DTI_mask_den_unr_preproc_unb_nocoreg.nii.gz
  11. dwi2response dhollander *den_unr_preproc_unbiased_nocoreg.mif wm_nocoreg.txt gm_nocoreg.txt csf_nocoreg.txt
  12. dwi2fod msmt_csd *den_unr_preproc_unbiased_nocoreg.mif wm_nocoreg.txt wmfod_nocoreg.mif csf.txt csffod_nocoreg.mif -mask *mask_den_unr_preproc_unb_nocoreg.nii.gz
  13. mrconvert -coord 3 0 wmfod_nocoreg.mif - | mrcat csffod_nocoreg.mif - vf_nocoreg.mif
  14. mtnormalise wmfod_nocoreg.mif wmfod_norm_nocoreg.mif csffod_nocoreg.mif csffod_norm_nocoreg.mif -mask *mask_den_unr_preproc_unb_nocoreg.nii.gz
  15. 5tt2gmwmi 5tt_nocoreg.mif gmwmSeed_nocoreg.mif
  16. tckgen -act 5tt_nocoreg.mif -backtrack -seed_gmwmi gmwmSeed_nocoreg.mif -select 10000000 wmfod_norm.mif tracks_10mio_nocoreg.tck
  17. tckedit tracks_10mio_nocoreg.tck -number 200k smallerTracks_200k_nocoreg.tck
  18. tcksift -act 5tt_nocoreg.mif -term_number 1000000 tracks_10mio_nocoreg.tck wmfod_norm_nocoreg.mif sift_1mio_nocoreg.tck
  19. tckedit sift_1mio_nocoreg.tck -number 200k smallerTracks_sift_200k_nocoreg.tck
    And the following results were obtained:

I wonder if this method can work.
    I look forward to your reply!

CHEN

Hi 宏坤
Actually I didn’t often register T1 into DTI, which certainly will decrease the resolution of T1 image. Could you tell me which part of the tutorial you read that register T1 into DTI?

HI明

In fact, I first register the DTI on the tape T1, and then do dwi2response processing on the DTI
The specific operations are:

1. flirt -in 5tt_vol0.nii.gz -ref *mean_b0_preprocessed.nii.gz -interp nearestneighbour -dof 6 -omat struct2diff_fsl.mat
  2. transformconvert struct2diff_fsl.mat 5tt_nocoreg.nii.gz *mean_b0_preprocessed.nii.gz flirt_import struct2diff_mrtrix.txt
  3. mrtransform *den_unr_preproc_unbiased.mif -linear struct2diff_mrtrix.txt -inverse *den_unr_preproc_unbiased_nocoreg.mif
    Step 1: first calculate the mat file of T1 registration to DTI
    Step 2: convert the mat file into a file used by mrtrix
    The last step is to register DTI into T1.
    If there is any error, please correct it

CHEN

Hi 宏坤
From the step one I noticed that you used b0 image as the follow of option -ref,
which meant you computed the transmatrix that could register T1 into DTI space.
Therefor in the step three your input should be a T1 image and which surely in contradiction with your target.
If you want to register your b0 image into T1 space, you probably should exchange the follows of the option -in and -ref, then get the transmatrix that could be used to register other diffusion images into T1 space such as b1000 in step three
Mia

Hi 宏坤
I noticed that maybe you could speak Chinese.
If you didn’t figure out, you could speak Chinese with me, and I will change my explanation into Chinese, hope that I could adress your problem.

Hi明

Thank for your question.
The -inverse option in the mrtransform command in step 3 can be applied to perform an inverse transformation according to the transmatrix of registration from T1 into DTI space.

CHEN

Hi 宏坤
Sorry that I miss the option -inverse, thank you for reminding me! :face_holding_back_tears:
Now I think your pipline may correct but I’m not for sure.
Maybe you could get the answer by reading some other tutorials and checking your image

Hi明

Thank you for your guidance! :blush:

CHEN