Update to MRtrix 3.0.2

Hi,

I’m on my way to upload MRtrix to its latest release (3.0.2) on macOSX using the following command:
sudo bash -c “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MRtrix3/macos-installer/master/install)”

And that seems to work:
WARNING: /usr/local/mrtrix3 already exists and will be replaced during installation.
Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n] y
Downloading https://github.com/MRtrix3/mrtrix3/releases/download/3.0.2/mrtrix3-macos-3.0.2.tar.gz
Removing symbolic links of previous installation …
Removing previous installation in /usr/local/mrtrix3 …
Unpacking mrtrix3-macos-3.0.2.tar.gz to /usr/local/mrtrix3 …
Creating symlinks in /usr/local/bin …
Creating symlinks in /Applications …
Installation complete!

However, when I double-check the installed version (for example by typing mrconvert -version it says version 3.0.0.

I’ve also tried to uninstall the current version and install the latest version. Without success.

What am I doing wrong?

OK, the first thing to check is which exact executable is it invoking:

which mrconvert

This should show the location /usr/local/mrtrix3/bin/mrconvert or /usr/local/bin/mrconvert (depending on whether that symbolic link is followed).

If that’s not the case, the chances are your PATH is set to include the location of your previous MRtrix installation. Take a look with:

echo $PATH

If you can see the incorrect location (where the previous version of mrconvert was located), then the fix will be to figure out where that PATH is being set, and remove it. The chances are it’ll be in one of ~/.bashrc, ~/.zprofile or ~/.bash_profile (most likely ~/.zprofile on a recent macOS version). Check with:

cat ~/.zprofile

and see if you can spot an export PATH=... statement that includes the location of the previous installation. If you do, open that file in a text editor (e.g. I think this works on macOS: edit ~/.zprofile) and remove the relevant line(s). Then restart your terminal and check that everything works as expected.

Oh yes silly me, Indeed I had installed another version elsewhere and the PATH was referring to that one. Thanks a lot!

1 Like