Calculating the tract volume

Hi MRtrix expert,

I am trying to calculate the volume of a tract (IFOF) in two different groups. I have generated the whole-brain tractography and extracted the IFOF tract. FA, length and streamline count are calculated.

Regards,
Salah

Welcome Salah!

The typical approach to calculating a tract volume is to:

1. Generate a binary mask corresponding to the tract;
  2. Calculate the number of voxels contained within that mask;
  3. Multiply this number by the volume of each voxel.

Step 1 would typically be achieved using a combination of tckmap (to get a streamline count per voxel) and mrthreshold to go from a streamline count per voxel to a binary mask. Step 2 can be obtained by running mrstats with the -mask option, and extracting the value of “count”. For Step 3 you can get the voxel spacing in mm from mrinfo.

The specific details of Step 1 are not entirely unambiguous though, there’s a few different ways it could be done, or little tweaks that could be applied. There’s a little bit of discussion around it in this paper from @Lee_Reid; I’m not aware of any other manuscripts that discuss specifically the nuances of tract volume quantification, but others are free to provide links.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob

Thank you for your reply. I tired to open the paper you have attached but for some reason I wont open. Anyhow, I calculated the volume using this steps:
1- use tckmap to create tract-weighted FA in nii format
(tckmap -mage DIR/fa.mif -template DIR/fa.mif TRACT.tck DIR/twfa.nii
2 - fslmaths to create binary image bin.nii with a threshold 10
(fslmaths DIR/twfa.nii -thr 10 -bin DIR/bin.nii
3 - fslstats to calculate the tract volume with -V
(fslstats DIR/bin.nii -v)

The middle value is the volume of the tract.

Regards,
Salah